Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, positioned within the southern part of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, was once a sleepy seashore city that attracted hippie sorts who most popular the placid seashores and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
Within the final decade or so, although, the hippies have been overtaken by influencers, boho-chic digital nomads, and would-be yogis. So, whereas I loved seeing the ruins there, I’m not a big fan of Tulum these days.
However that’s simply me. Lots of of 1000’s of individuals go to annually and love their time there. Journey is subjective, in spite of everything.
Dwelling to a few of the best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand seashores, Tulum is unquestionably a beautiful slice of Mexico.
However is Tulum protected?
That will depend on who you ask.
The Abroad Safety Advisory Council says that Tulum is “moderately safe” — although there was at the least one kidnapping of a vacationer there earlier this yr, and two girls have been killed by gang crossfire whereas eating at a restaurant in 2021.
For the state of Quintana Roo, which incorporates Tulum, the information from the US State Department says to “train elevated warning” when touring there (versus six different states in Mexico, the place the report mentioned, “Don’t journey to”).
That mentioned, I’ve visited Tulum a couple of instances now — and have road-tripped across the area — and by no means felt unsafe. Certain, you must preserve your wits about you and preserve a watch out for petty theft, however that’s what you must do anyplace you journey.
That can assist you perceive extra in regards to the metropolis and resolve for those who really feel snug visiting, right here is every little thing you must know to remain protected in Tulum.
Is Tulum Secure for Solo Vacationers?
Usually, sure. It’s within the native and nationwide governments’ curiosity to make an effort to maintain tourist-heavy locations like Tulum protected. If vacationers begin getting robbed (or worse) in Tulum, guests will cease coming, native companies will undergo, and, because of this, there would then in all probability be extra crime. It’s cyclical.
In the event you train some warning, as you must do in any new vacation spot, you’ll doubtless keep away from any critical points.
Is Tulum Secure for Solo Feminine Vacationers?
Tulum is usually protected for solo feminine vacationers. That mentioned, feminine vacationers have extra issues and will train much more warning. Don’t stroll alone at night time, for instance, whereas in Tulum. By no means settle for a drink from somebody until you noticed it being poured or made. And all the time regulate your drink when out on the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Secure?
Taxi drivers have a fairly unhealthy status regardless of the place you’re on the planet. I’m glad to report that that status doesn’t lengthen to this seaside city. Simply make sure you agree on a worth earlier than you depart.
Taxis are plentiful in Tulum so generally you shouldn’t have an issue discovering one. If doubtful, although, have your resort or hostel name one for you so that you will be certain you get a good driver.
Is Renting a Automobile in Tulum Secure?
There are some rental automobile scams that vacationers ought to concentrate on — not simply in Tulum however anyplace in Mexico. It’s fairly widespread, for instance, to hire a automobile on-line after which present up on the workplace solely to be informed that they don’t have any automobiles in the meanwhile.
The opposite difficulty is with hidden charges. There are exorbitant prices for insurance coverage that you simply’re solely informed about on the final minute, so bear in mind if you ebook that you simply would possibly get the deal that you simply suppose you’re getting.
Other than these points, it’s protected to hire a automobile in Tulum.
To seek out one of the best rental automobile offers, use Discover Cars.
Is There an Subject with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
Sadly, crime has elevated in Tulum, and the vast majority of it’s drug-related gang exercise. Since 2019, drug-related gang crimes have increased by a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that that is largely gang-on-gang violence and never aimed toward vacationers.
The important thing right here is that this: don’t use or purchase medication whereas in Mexico typically, and Tulum particularly. You’re simply inviting hazard.
Can You Drink the Faucet Water in Tulum?
The faucet water throughout Mexico — not simply in Tulum — is infamous for not being as clear because it might be. That goes for ice cubes too. Discover out first if the water in eating places is filtered after which ask if the ice cubes are too.
Tulum can generally be sweltering, and sipping iced drinks may be refreshing, however it could be even worse to be caught in your resort room with abdomen points since you drank faucet water or an iced drink that was contaminated with faucet water.
Bottled water isn’t essentially the most eco-friendly factor, however when in Tulum, persist with it, simply to be protected. You can too deliver a LifeStraw bottle, which has a built-in filter to make sure that your water is all the time clear and protected to drink.
Can I Stroll Round at Evening in Tulum?
It’s not really helpful — particularly for those who’re alone. Making issues extra sophisticated, the seashore resorts and the middle of city should not essentially a fast jaunt from one another on foot, so you must take a taxi. The excellent news is that taxis are considerable in Tulum.
So, until it’s an excellent brief distance, don’t stroll at night time in Tulum.
10 Security Suggestions for Tulum
Tulum is likely one of the extra reliably protected spots in Mexico. That mentioned, you must nonetheless train warning, significantly if you depart the closely touristed areas of city. Listed below are some issues to bear in mind:
1. Keep alert – When strolling round, particularly at night time, keep very alert and conscious of your environment. Do your finest to slot in.
2. Maintain your telephone out of the attain of others – Pickpockets like to prey on careless vacationers, so preserve your telephone out of the attain of others always. In the event you stroll round swinging your smartphone all over, you would possibly discover that merchandise out of the blue lacking.
3. Maintain your valuables at dwelling – Equally, when you have a number of good jewellery and/or an costly watch, preserve it at dwelling or within the resort room protected. You don’t need to entice the improper sort of consideration.
4. Be cautious at night time for those who’re touring alone – Tulum isn’t essentially the most harmful place at night time, however in some locations, it’s not as nicely lit correctly. Don’t stroll round alone late at night time for those who can keep away from it — particularly between the middle of city and the beachfront resort zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – In the event you don’t have worldwide roaming, obtain an offline map to make use of for navigation. Simply ensure to not pull your smartphone out an excessive amount of, lest it get stolen.
6. Study some Spanish – Uttering a couple of phrases of the native language is all the time a very good factor. It could actually open doorways and assist you slot in (and also you’re much less more likely to be a goal). It’s additionally helpful in case of an emergency. The emergency quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Be conscious of your cash – Don’t carry each peso you have got in your pockets or pocket. Unfold it round (some in your pockets, some within the resort protected, some in your backpack), in order that if somebody steals your pockets or robs you, you’ll nonetheless have cash secured elsewhere.
8. Obtain the Prey app to your telephone and laptop computer – In case your telephone or your laptop computer will get stolen, the Prey app means that you can monitor the place it’s. You’ll be able to set up the app totally free after which improve to a paid model (it’s simply $5 USD) if you must monitor your stolen system. Prey can even activate your telephone’s digital camera and take a photograph of the thief.
9. Watch out when utilizing ATMs – Solely use ATMs inside a financial institution. Not solely can skimmers be positioned on outside ATMs (to steal your PIN), however robberies are way more widespread at them. To remain protected, solely use indoor ATMs.
10. Be careful for riptides – Whereas the seashores in Tulum are beautiful, the riptides will be harmful. By no means stray too removed from shore, simply to be protected. In the event you’re not a robust swimmer, persist with the pool.
So, Ought to You Go to Tulum?
When it comes to security, sure. As I mentioned above, there was a justifiable share of drug- and gang-related crime in Tulum over the previous few years, however for those who’re not looking for out medication — and you actually shouldn’t be — then doubtless you’ll keep away from experiencing any such points.
My Most Necessary Recommendation
Buy travel insurance. We by no means suppose that one thing goes to go improper on journeys. However it does generally — which I’ve realized from expertise. I’ve misplaced baggage in South Africa, had my gear break in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I used to be additionally knifed in Colombia.
Whereas it’s not enjoyable to consider, unhealthy issues can occur whilst you’re touring.
That’s why I by no means depart dwelling with out journey insurance coverage. You shouldn’t both — particularly for those who’re heading to Mexico. For simply a few bucks a day, you’ll get a security web that ensures that you simply received’t go bankrupt ought to one thing unhealthy and sudden occur.
Don’t low-cost out in your well being and security. It’s not definitely worth the danger.
Tulum has rapidly turn out to be the epicenter of the so-called Riviera Maya, attracting all sorts of people that gravitate right here for its beautiful white-sand seashores hugging up alongside blue-green waters, in addition to the properly preserved Mayan ruins.
Whereas it’s a usually protected place for vacationers, you must all the time be alert and train warning whilst you’re in Tulum. Do this, and also you’ll have the ability to have a enjoyable — and protected — go to.
E book Your Journey: Logistical Suggestions and Tips
E book Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight through the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you all the time know no stone is being left unturned.
E book Your Lodging
You’ll be able to ebook your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace aside from a hostel, use Booking.com because it constantly returns the most affordable charges for guesthouses and resorts.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you in opposition to sickness, damage, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes improper. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances prior to now. My favourite firms that supply one of the best service and worth are:
Need to journey totally free?
Journey bank cards assist you to earn factors that may be redeemed totally free flights and lodging. They’re what preserve me touring a lot for therefore little. Try my guide to picking the right card and my current favorites to get began and see the most recent finest offers.
Able to E book Your Journey?
Try my resource page for one of the best firms to make use of if you journey. I record all those I exploit once I journey. They’re one of the best in school and you may’t go improper utilizing them in your journey.