Pet Poison Helpline raises awareness of this popular summer season in its latest episode of Toxin Tails
At Sharron Champagne’s home in Hooksett, New Hampshire, a “Costco-sized” container of onion powder was left on the kitchen counter. Her two dogs, Tsuk and Scotty, were left unattended with the spice and Tsuk decided to jump at the chance.
“Tsuk has been known to steal things off the counter,” Champagne said in a statement from the organization.1 “She’s extremely focused on food and always hungry. I swear she can hear a piece of lettuce falling from the other side of the house. Apparently Tsuk took the container of onion powder off the counter and The container was about three-quarters full, and what she didn’t eat she left on her mat.
Champagne added that the family was not initially worried because they were unaware of the dangers onions pose to pets. However, after several days, Tsuk became lethargic, lost her appetite and started drinking excess water and had dark urine. “She also started vomiting. That’s when we realized something was seriously wrong.”
That’s when the Champagnes called the toxicology experts at Pet Poison Helpline, who recommended that they take Tsuk to the veterinary hospital.
Renee Schmid, DVM, DABVT, DABT, senior veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline, shared, “The amount of onion powder potentially ingested by Tsuk posed a risk of red blood cell damage, anemia, and gastrointestinal irritation. gut,” she continued. clinical signs are often seen within three to five days of ingestion, so the timing of her clinical signs was consistent with onion exposure.”
At VCA Capital Area Veterinary Emergency and Specialty, Tsuk was treated and their medical team followed up with Pet Poison Helpline for treatment suggestions. Once a case is opened by a pet owner or veterinary professional, all follow-up consultations are included.
According to the press release,1 the medical team was instructed to perform blood tests, which confirmed that Tsuk’s red blood cell count was very low and that Tsuk needed a life-saving blood transfusion. Severe anemia can be damaging because the transport of oxygen to tissues and organs throughout the body is compromised, which can lead to life-threatening damage.
Additionally, veterinary blood transfusions require intensive monitoring and care to ensure that harmful reactions do not occur. Additionally, they placed Tsuk on IV fluids and offered him more supportive care, including monitoring his oxygen levels and administering antioxidants.
“After three days in the ER and thousands of dollars in vet bills to save her life, Tsuk is now doing great. We are so happy we made the decision to treat her,” Champagne added. “
“We now have a very small bottle of onion powder, and when the garlic powder runs out, we reduce that bottle as well.” Garlic powder has the same toxin and signs as onion powder but has a narrower margin of safety.
Onion powder poisons the pooch. Press release. Pet Poison Helpline. July 20, 2022. Accessed July 21, 2022. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/onion-powder-poisons-probing-pooch-301589715.html