Udemy, a leading destination for online learning and teaching, today announced the release of its first “ESG Impact Report: Improving Lives Through Learning.” The report highlights the positive societal impact of Udemy since its inception in 2010, particularly highlighting the opportunities for advancement that online education has enabled during the economic uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the company’s ongoing work to help individuals, communities and organizations globally develop marketable skills for future success. In May 2022, 52 million learners and 68,000 instructors were part of the Udemy online education market.
“Access to high-quality education elevates individuals and, in turn, elevates businesses, communities and societies,” said CEO Gregg Coccari. “At a time of heightened market volatility and rising global inequality, we are proud that our platform empowers real-world experts to improve their own lives by teaching online while improving outcomes. for individuals and organizations around the world.”
Udemy’s impact strategy aligns with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and focuses on three key pillars:
- Provide quality education: Udemy is committed to improving the lives of people around the world through equitable access to learning opportunities and continued investment in supporting lifelong learners at home and at work.
- Advancing talent, global expertise and economic opportunity: Udemy helps organizations of all kinds prepare for the ever-changing future of work by empowering employers to develop in-house expertise and satisfy employees’ thirst for learning and development.
- Catalyze diversity and inclusiveness: Udemy provides a platform to improve skills and follow learning paths that unlock career opportunities, regardless of formal education or geography.
Highlights of Udemy’s ESG efforts featured in the report include:
- As of Q4 2021, empowered over 49 million people worldwide to advance their own skills using the platform.
- Expanding digital learning opportunities across global borders with nearly 80% of learners located outside of the United States having access to over 185,000 courses in over 75 languages that can be purchased in 28 currencies.
- Added 4.4 million new international students to 187 countries, a 38% increase in 2021 alone.
- Enabled over 64,000 instructors – a 14% increase over 2020 – to offer their expertise to individuals and organizations around the world. In total, Udemy instructors have earned $177 million, helping them support themselves, their families, and their communities.
- Saw an almost 80% increase in the number of Udemy Business learners in 2021 alone, as more organizations built workplace learning cultures.
- Offering over 19,000 free courses and empowering instructors to distribute millions of coupons globally, encouraging individuals to try their courses for free, with the result that over 10% of usage on the company’s platform is free.
- Served over 200 nonprofit clients who consumed over 58,000 learning hours – a 230% increase in hours consumed in 2021, compared to 2020.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, launched the Udemy Free Resource Center offering over 700 free courses on topics ranging from essential technical skills to personal growth and wellness. Generating 4.6 million signups with 883,000 hours of educational content consumed.
In addition to aligning with the UN SDGs, the report was developed with guidance from the Sustainability Accounting Standard Board (SASB), a global framework for sustainability reporting.
Udemy has been recognized as a leader in ESG and sustainability by influential third parties, including Sustainalytics, Great place to work and Fortune.To learn more about Udemy’s ESG practices, visit https://about.udemy.com/esg-at-udemy/.
Udemy (Nasdaq: UDMY) offers flexible and effective skills development to empower organizations and individuals. The Udemy marketplace platform, with thousands of up-to-date courses in dozens of languages, offers the tools learners, instructors, and businesses need to achieve their goals and reach their full potential. Millions of people learn on the Udemy platform from real-world experts on topics ranging fromprogramminganddata scienceatleadershipandteam building. Udemy Business offers business customers aemployee trainingand a developer platform with subscription access to thousands of courses, learning analytics, and the ability to host and distribute their own content. Udemy Business clients include Fender Instruments, Glassdoor, On24, World Bank, and Volkswagen. Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with centers in Ankara, Turkey; Austin, TX; Boston, Massachusetts; Mountain View, California; Denver, Colorado; Dublin, Ireland; Melbourne, Australia; New Delhi, India; and Sao Paulo, Brazil.